Sunday, March 20, 2011

Why do people stare?

I can really answer my own question, it is human nature and people are curious.  I am guilty of it and I am guessing most people are.  My issue is the long awkward staring that makes the person you are staring at feel bad about something they likely can't do anything about.  I personally have only experienced this for a short time.  I am really having a new sense of what someone who looks different for any reason whether it is their skin color, a physical disabilty or having medical equipment (wheelchair, oxygen etc.) must go through everyday. 

Usually in my errands to the grocery store or Target I don't notice too many of those awkward stares which is nice.  My pet peeve at the grocery store is the people who keep running into my backpack.  What I'd really like to say is yes I know it is big, bulky and in your way but I'm the one stuck with it 24/7 so just deal with it for the minute it bothers you.  Where I seem to find the staring more prominent is at restaurants or other places where it is less hectic (not that I get out much these days).  Ryan and I went to a nice dinner and it was incredible the amount people whose heads nearly spun off to stare at me getting up, putting on my backpack to go use the bathroom.  I felt like I was wearing flashing Christmas lights on my head.  Sometimes I think I should wear a sign on the backpack saying "I'm pregnant.  I vomit.  This helps."  What I would like people to do instead of staring is just ask what it's for.  The families I care for at work most often ask about the backpack.  Many ask immediately but some take a while.  I don't bring it up but I really don't mind people asking, I would rather have them know then just assume who knows what.  I have yet to get a negative response about it, which I know others who get stared at are likely not as lucky. 

I am very blessed to know this will end for me.  It has definitely opened my eyes to how much just a look or too long of a look can make someone feel.  Think about it the next time you see someone who looks different than you.  I sure do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment