Monday, March 14, 2011

My First Pregnancy

Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids.  http://www.helpher.org/ Hyperemesis Education & Research.

On December 5, 2008 I found out I was pregnant with our first child.  What an exciting and scary time!  I felt good for nearly two weeks before I started vomiting in the morning.  It quickly progressed to vomiting everything I ate and vomiting many times per day.  I thought it was severe morning sickness.  I saw my doctor on Dec 29th and I heard for the first time the word hyperemesis.  She sent me immediately to the hospital for fluids and IV medication.  This provided temporary relief but I was back at St. Joe's on Jan 2nd for fluids and meds again.  We met with a dietician who has worked with hyperemesis patients and she provided us with some helpful information.  I was able to better control the vomiting with the help of oral zofran, eating and drinking separately and giving up water for over 6 weeks (yes it wasn't ideal but I was able to keep other fluids down better).  I got on a pretty strict schedule of eating every 2 hours and drinking every 2 hours in between the eating.  Around 17-18 weeks I was able to tolerate some food and small amounts of liquid together.  I also introduced water back into my diet.  I continued to be plagued with nausea but the vomiting was much more sporadic and I even had a few days where I did not vomit!  I figured out pretty quickly that motion (especially the car) and being overtired would exacerbate the vomiting.  This was the plateau things stayed at for the rest of the pregnancy.  Labor was filled with vomiting but I think it helped speed things along and thankfully the nausea and vomiting were gone as soon as I gave birth.  On my due date (August 14, 2009) I had gained 7 pounds and delivered a healthy baby girl weighing in at 7lbs 5oz.   

Fiona's First Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment