Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dressing change day!

Wednesday is dressing change day.  Pam, my home care nurse comes every Wednesday to change my PICC dressing.  It is a recurring event on my google calendar.  Gosh, I lead an exciting life.    

My arm starting to heal
(February). 
I first met Pam when she came to set up my zofran pump.  I mentioned this before but she said if all goes well we wouldn't ever see each other again.  Well she was back twice to start peripheral IV's within the next week.  Once I got my PICC line, I knew we'd have a weekly date until it came out.  When I ran into problems with my PICC line (long story short my arm blistered and ozzed under the dressings, generally my skin was mad), Pam was here every day or every other day for over a month.  She works in Waukesha and lives is Dousman and even on the snowiest of days she came in her tiny car to take care of my PICC line.  I am confident that my PICC line is still in and working today because of Pam.  Now even this week I had an issue with some blistering and Pam came out on Monday to check it out.  She of course came again today to ensure things were good.  The PICC has been in for 4 1/2 months and it needs to last 2 more so we are being very careful.  Pam also has a helper depending on the time she comes as Fiona now enjoys standing guard and watching the dressing changes.  She will also bring flushes and alcohol wipes in case Pam needs a few extra. 

Along with the dressing changes Pam takes my vitals and I get to answer the fun questions of how many times did you vomit, how many hours were you nauseated, how bad was the nausea, stuff like that.  I like Pam and appreciate her understanding and compassion.  The best part of her visits is when we listen to baby's heart beat which is reassuring.  It always puts a smile on my face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment