Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday = Supplies = Fiona Fun!

Every Tuesday my friend the Fed Ex man comes to my house with 2 or 3 large heavy boxes of IV fluids, medications and supplies.  Who cares, right?  Wrong.  When I bring in the boxes (yup I know I shouldn’t because they are pretty heavy but if no one is here I bring them in) Fiona goes crazy.  She claps, squeals and gets down right happy to see the boxes.  I can barely get them open fast enough for her liking.  But once they are open, my work is essentially done. 

I learned months ago that she quite liked to be helpful and was a pretty strong little girl.  So one by one Fiona carries the IV bags (usually there are 21 - I use 3 per day so it lasts a week) and puts them into the bin where they live.  She has learned the best way to carry them and it doesn’t faze her if she drops one she just picks it right back up.  The OCD part of me used to rearrange them to look nice, but then I wondered if I had really lost my mind and left them just the way she puts them because I thought if someone would really care that my IV bags aren’t organized they would just have to leave my house.  The IV bags are by far Fiona’s favorite. 

She does like the other things though too – especially the ice pack that comes with my medication.  She will run around the house with it and I swear nearly get frostbite on her hands before she will give it back.  Alcohol wipes are also a great source of entertainment.  They fit just about anywhere and we find them everywhere (so far the best place was the fridge, which she can’t open herself so she must have snuck that in somehow).  Her preference is to dump them out and put them all back in the bag or if that isn’t as fun, file them in our file drawer.  The latest fascination is with the flushes.  I think it is because they are wrapped in crinkly plastic (picture of her unloading those on the left).  The poor girl is going to be sad when Tuesday is just another day and all of these fun “toys” are gone.  I on the other hand will be one happy lady!   

1 comment:

  1. Here's what you do. Grandpa Chuck takes all those ziploc bags you'll no longer need, fills them with water, and leaves them in a cardboard box at the door every Tuesday! You know he'd love to do it. ; )

    ReplyDelete