Thursday, March 17, 2011

The PICC line I love to hate.

Some more info on the PICC (with some help from Wikipedia).  A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line) is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time.  A PICC is inserted in a peripheral vein, such as the basilic vein (large vein in upper arm) and then advanced through increasingly larger veins, toward the heart until the tip rests in the distal superior vena cava (large vein that carries blood into the heart).  

I love my PICC line, really I do.  The biggest reason is that it has helped me carry the Bitoski until now and that s/he is healthy.  I don't know if I could say that without having the PICC, it is a bit of my lifeline these days.  Hands down, love the PICC line.  It is sturdy where a regular IV just isn't, there is much less worry about pulling it out or getting it kinked.  It lasts for a long time!  I've had it since Nov 19th - almost 4 months now and it still works where normal IV's only last a few days.

I hate my PICC line.  There are a few things that drive me crazy about having a PICC.  It itches.  A lot.  Recently there was an issue when my skin got angry that it's been covered for months and blistered terribly all around my line.  With the help of Pam (my home nurse), some experts at work, and every two day dressing changes things are looking better.  But it still itches like crazy.  Showering is a chore.  The dressing can't get wet, so I use glad press & seal and then handi-wrap to seal my arm before I shower (after I unhook my pumps).  Of course I can't wrap my arm myself so I must rely on Ryan or my mom to wrap my arm.  Let's just say a quick shower just doesn't happen anymore.  I'm hooked up to lines all the time and have to carry a backpack, it just gets old especially when the lines get caught on door knobs or something random and I almost take myself out in the process.  Sleeping is different.  I roll around like a crazy person at night.  I figured out quickly that I had to be careful or I would get tangled and kinked.  Something is always beeping at me.  Some pump wants to be restarted for no reason or is needing batteries or tubing is kinked or thinks it is.  My alarm clock these days is the beeping of my IV pump to tell me the bag is empty.  I look forward to the day when it is a baby crying instead. 

Yes the PICC drives me crazy but in the end I love it more than I hate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment