Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The First Week.....

The question I have been asked most throughout the entire pregnancy now has an answer.  Does the puking stop immediately after the baby is born?  Answer: Not this time (it did with Fiona). 

We spent the first few days in the hospital.  Our first night we had to stay in labor and delivery as I was on mag sulfate and we were watching my blood pressure closely.  It was behaving itself for the moment so that was a bonus.  Tuesday morning Fiona got to meet her little brother Euan for the first time.  She was mildly interested but overall preferred to run around the hospital room and read her new Elmo book.  It was good for us to see her.

Tuesday I was feeling ok for the most part, tired of course.  Still a bit nauseated but not puking.  Tried my darnest to eat and drink since we capped off my PICC line that morning.  I was quite enjoying the ice water aspect of life.  Euan was beginning to eat well which lead itself to what they call "afterpains."  I call them contractions.  I read before I had Euan that they are more intense with the second and subsequent children.  I would agree 100%.  I found myself singing the ABC's and breathing through them.  I also found myself very nauseated and feeling generally crummy during these.  Tuesday's highlight was the removal of my PICC line.  Whoop whoop!! 

Overnight Tuesday my BP was rising and they started me on medication.  Our plan was to go home Wednesday and Euan got the green light to go.  I did not.  That day was not one of my favorites.  I was feeling poor and had my first postpartum vomit in a ziploc bag while Euan was eating.  I cried.  Poor kid got squished for 9 months while I puked and now I was trying to puke while he ate.  It was later that evening when I really struggled with vomiting everything and my BP skyrocketed.  It began to make sense to me.  Euan eats.  Hormones are released.  Uterus contracts.  I vomit.  My BP goes up.  It's all hormone related.  Stupid hormones.  Thankfully between drugs and a few sporadic hours of sleep my BP improved.  I wasn't puking like a crazy person anymore so that was good too.  I finally got the green light to go home!   

Being at home has been a tiny bit of a whirlwind.  Euan's bili level was up a bit so we went to the pediatrician 3 of the first 4 days we were home.  Thankfully he is gaining weight and the bili level is heading down.  I headed to the doc for my BP, which still not great and it is pretty obvious to me when its up since I get dizzy and lightheaded.  I go back in 2 weeks.  

Fiona is adjusting well, the big thing we've noticed is she wants to be held more.  Overall she has been an outstanding big sister and likes to kiss Euan.

Ryan went back to work on Monday.  Would have loved to have him around longer but when you own a small company it doesn't exactly work that way.  I am grateful that my parents continue to be superbly helpful. 

My hope was to feel better once the baby was born.  Overall I do.  I think I was a bit too optimistic about how good I would feel.  I need to remember that I've been feeling like a pile since October so it might take more than a few days to feel great again.  Baby steps! 

Oh, and to answer a lingering question - he was well worth every minute of feeling like crap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment